Listen: Broken Bells Releases Single “Holding On For Life”

first_imgAs we reported last week, Danger Mouse and The Shins’ James Mercer have revived their Broken Bells project, and will be releasing their second album, After The Disco, this coming January. The album is also part of a short film, which is directed by Jacob Gentry, and produced in conjunction with The Creators Project.The duo finally released the first single off the album, “Holding On For Life.” The song sounds like the Bee Gee’s stepped into the 21st century. The song is catchy, groovy, and filled with falsetto. Expect other artists to remix this song to its death.Take a listen for yourself:last_img read more

Overdose Deaths Far Outpace COVID-19 Deaths in San Francisco (CA)

first_imgFILE – In this April 26, 2018, file photo, a man lies on the sidewalk beside a recyclable trash bin in San Francisco. A record 621 people died of drug overdoses in San Francisco so far this year, a staggering number that far outpaces the 173 deaths from COVID-19 the city has seen thus far. The crisis fueled by the powerful painkiller fentanyl could have been far worse if it wasn’t for the nearly 3,000 times Narcan was used from January to the beginning of November to save someone from the brink of death, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday, Dec. 19, 2020. (AP Photo/Ben Margot, File) The data reflects the number of times people report using Narcan to the Drug Overdose Prevention and Education Project, a city-funded program that coordinates San Francisco’s response to overdose, or return to refill their supply. Officials at the DOPE Project said that since the numbers are self-reported, they are probably a major undercount. The crisis is deepening because fentanyl, which can be 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine, flooded the city’s drug supply, the newspaper said. Moreover, the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted city services like housing and treatment, and left many people who rely on others to help save them if they overdose to use alone. The crisis fueled by the powerful painkiller fentanyl could have been far worse if it wasn’t for the nearly 3,000 times Narcan was used from January to the beginning of November to save someone from the brink of death, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday. Beyond Naloxone: Providing Comprehensive Prehospital Care to Overdose Patients in the Midst of a Public Health CrisisOne Paramedic’s Perspective on Civilian Naloxone DistributionFix Narcotic Abuse Cycle Before Throwing Naloxone at Every Overdose Patient Related Last year, 441 people died of drug overdoses — a 70% increase from 2018 — and 2,610 potential overdoses were prevented by Narcan, a medication commonly sprayed up the nose to reverse an opioid overdose, according to data from the city Medical Examiner’s office and the DOPE Project. SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A record 621 people died of drug overdoses in San Francisco so far this year, a staggering number that far outpaces the 173 deaths from COVID-19 the city has seen thus far. While nearly 40% of the deaths occurred in the Tenderloin and South of Market neighborhoods near downtown, city data showed the epidemic has touched every part of the city. Many people overdosed in low-income apartment buildings and in city-funded hotel rooms for the homeless. Others died on sidewalks, in alleyways and parks around the city.last_img read more

Simple Breath Test Could Save Millions of People From Cancer

first_imgThe new research, involving more than 300 patients, showed that the test could diagnose cancer with an overall accuracy of 85%.RELATED: Simple Blood Test Could Detect Cancer Ten Years Before Symptoms ShowDr Sheraz Markar, an NIHR Clinical Trials Fellow from Imperial College London, told the Congress: “At present the only way to diagnose oesophageal cancer or stomach cancer is with endoscopy. This method is expensive, invasive and has some risk of complications.“A breath test could be used as a non-invasive, first-line test to reduce the number of unnecessary endoscopies. In the longer term this could also mean earlier diagnosis and treatment, and better survival.”The trial was based on the results of previous research that suggested differences in the levels of specific chemicals (butyric, pentanoic and hexanoic acids, butanal, and decanal) between patients with stomach or oesophageal cancer and patients with upper gastrointestinal symptoms without cancer. The new research aimed to test whether this ‘chemical signature’ that seemed to typify cancer could be the basis of a diagnostic test.MORE: Bold Trials to Kill Vicious Cancer Type is So Successful, FDA Will Fast Track to PatientsIn the new study, the research team collected breath samples from 335 people at St Mary’s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust; University College London Hospital; and the Royal Marsden Hospital, London. Of these, 163 had been diagnosed with stomach or oesophageal cancer and 172 showed no evidence of cancer when they had an endoscopy.All the samples were analyzed with a technique called selected ion flow-tube mass spectrometry, which is able to accurately measure small amounts of different chemicals in mixtures of gases such as breath.Researchers measured the levels of the five chemicals in each sample to see which ones matched to the ‘chemical signature’ that indicated cancer.CHECK OUT: After Marrying On Her ‘Deathbed,’ This Bride Made a Miraculous Recovery After Quitting 1 FoodThe results showed that the test was 85% accurate overall, with a sensitivity of 80% and a specificity of 81%. This means that not only was the breath test good at picking up those who had cancer (sensitivity), it was also good at correctly identifying who did not have cancer (specificity).Dr Markar said: “Because cancer cells are different to healthy ones, they produce a different mixture of chemicals. This study suggests that we may be able detect these differences and use a breath test to indicate which patients are likely to have cancer of the oesophagus and stomach, and which do not. However, these findings must be validated in a larger sample of patients before the test could be used in the clinic.”Over the next three years, the researchers will continue with a larger trial, using the test with patients who are being given an endoscopy for gastrointestinal symptoms but not yet diagnosed with cancer. This will assess the ability of the test to pick up cases within a group that is likely to contain only a small percentage of cancers.The team is also working on breath tests for other types of cancer, such as colorectal and pancreatic, which could be used as first-line tests in general practice surgeries.(Source: European Cancer Organization)Click To Share This Breathtaking Discovery With Your Friends – Photo by Fire NightAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMore AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreA test that measures the levels of five chemicals in the breath has shown promising results for the detection of cancers of the oesophagus and stomach.Together, stomach and oesophageal cancer account for around 1.4 million new cancer diagnoses each year worldwide. Both tend to be diagnosed late, because the symptoms are ambiguous, meaning the five-year survival rate for these two types of cancer is only 15%.last_img read more

Size does matter

first_imgTo continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletterslast_img read more

Russia rips young Gilas

first_imgHowever, the Filipinos will face powerhouse Serbia in the knockout phase.Kai Sotto and Dave Ildefonso led the Philippines with 14 points apiece and a combined 13 rebounds while Carl Tamayo added 12 points and five boards.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe Russians built an early first quarter lead, taking a 28-15 cushion after Aleksandr Petenev’s layup a second before heading into the second period. —BONG LOZADA, INQUIRER.NET Taal evacuees make the most of ‘unusual’ clothing donations, leaves online users laughing Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted Romasanta to stay on as president until elections; IOC refutes Tolentino’s poll dates Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists Ukrainian prime minister resigns after recordings published LATEST STORIES View comments Deandre Ayton shines as Suns pound Knicks Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Photo from Fiba.comGilas Youth ended its group stage campaign in a crushing defeat to Russia, 92-64, on Wednesday (Manila time) at University Hall in Heraklion, Greece.The Filipinos finished 0-3 in Group C, the last seed in the group, but still moved on to the Round of 16.ADVERTISEMENT Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia PLAY LIST 00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 11 nabbed for shabu, drug den busted in Maguindanao MOST READlast_img read more

Kilmarnock announce appointment of Steve Clarke as manager

first_imgThe club are bottom of the Premiership on goal difference, having picked up only three points but will move up if they defeat Partick Thistle on Saturday. Paul McDonald will take charge of the side for that match before Clarke takes on his full duties. Kilmarnock have announced the appointment of Steve Clarke as their new manager.The 54-year old has signed a two-and-a-half year deal at Rugby Park to become Lee McCulloch’s successor.“I’m delighted to be back in football and I’m especially delighted to be named Kilmarnock manager,” Clarke told Kilmarnock’s official website.“In my discussions with the board we spoke about stability and while we need to fix the current situation, I’m looking to provide that stability to this great club. “I’m looking forward to working with the board, staff, players and supporters to ensure future success at the club.”He will be assisted by former Blackpool and Charlton Athletic defender Alex Dyer. Clarke was out of work after leaving Aston Villa last season and has previously managed Reading and West Bromwich Albion. Prior to working as a manager in his own right he was assistant boss at Liverpool, West Ham, Chelsea and Newcastle United.McCulloch left his role at the beginning of October after failing to win any of the team’s first eight Premiership games.last_img read more