UK: Siemens unveiled Desiro City, the latest addition to its Desiro range for the UK market on July 16. The high-capacity commuter EMU forms the basis of the company’s bid to win the contract to supply 1 300 cars for expanded north-south cross-London Thameslink services, the procurement of which is being managed by the Department for Transport.Desiro City builds on advances already being incorporated into Desiros currently on order, including the Desiro Main Line trainsets for SNCB and German operator Transregio, and the Class 380 EMUs being supplied to ScotRail. Siemens is keen to ensure that each addition to the family brings a significant reduction in weight and energy consumption; the Desiro City, like the Class 380, will include ‘fly-by-wire’ controls to reduce cable weight and allowing a more spacious passenger saloon, and air-conditioning that adjusts itself to vehicle loading. Siemens expects that the Desiro City would offer a weight saving of around 25% against the original Class 350/450 cars delivered between 2003 and 2009.The Desiro City is designed to reduce track wear through the use of a lighter and more compact SF7000 bogie. The design includes inboard bearings and integrated bogie-mounted traction motors. Provision has been made to retro-fit at a later date the Syntegra gearless drive bogie, which is currently on test on the München metro.Initially planned with 50% of axles powered, the Desiro City will be equipped for dual-voltage 25 kV AC and 750V DC operation in formations ranging from three to 12 cars. It is expected that the first trainset could be delivered within 30 months of contract signature. For detailed analysis of the UK rail industry, subscribe to Rail Business Intelligence.
Brian Spurlock, USA TODAY SportsINDIANAPOLIS — Drivers’ calls for penalties against Helio Castroneves, Josef Newgarden and five other drivers after Saturday’s Angie’s List Grand Prix of Indianapolis will be answered this week — yea or nay — following a routine review of the race.But for those who expected penalties to be meted out during the race, the thought of post-race penalties was laughable.“By the time you get to the championship, nobody is going to remember a fine you got earlier in the year,” Tony Kanaan told USA TODAY Sports. “I’m not picking on Helio. I’m picking on the inconsistency in the calls. I was expecting similar action to be taken as it is with other incidents like this one. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.”Verizon IndyCar Series officials, including race director Brian Barnhart, are expected to review video of the entire race Monday to determine post-race infractions. While it’s unusual for drivers who weren’t penalized during the race to receive post-race penalties, it isn’t out of the realm.MORE: Indianapolis Speedway undergoes transformation prior to Indy 500Castroneves came under fire for a rear-end collision on the first turn of the first lap that spun Scott Dixon and collected Jack Hawksworth and Newgarden. Newgarden later was criticized by Graham Rahal and Juan Pablo Montoya for staying between the leader, Will Power, and Rahal despite being a lap down.But five drivers who avoided the Turn 1 crash by taking a shortcut through the runoff — Charlie Kimball, Stefano Coletti, James Jakes, Sebastian Saavedra and James Hinchcliffe — drew the ire of Kanaan, who started sixth and avoided the crash, only to see five cars pass him by taking the shortcut.Kanaan said he complained to IndyCar officials after the race, but didn’t get the answer he wanted to hear.“They all restarted in front of me,” Kanaan said. “That was my question. Why did that happen? We looked at the video. They acknowledged that those cars started behind me and moved ahead by taking the shortcut, but I got no answer to it. Yet.”Meanwhile, Rahal said his pursuit of Power was impeded by Newgarden, who was a lap down.“You get 10, 12 car lengths back, you can feel the air,” Rahal said after finishing second, 1.5023 seconds behind Power. “I was five car lengths back for five or six laps on his tail. You know, it was like I didn’t exist.”Kanaan, who narrowly avoided the crash, said he stayed on the grass and followed the racetrack instead of using the runoff because he didn’t want to be penalized. He passed all the drivers who jumped ahead of him except Kimball, who finished fourth as Kanaan finished seventh.MORE: Will Power shifts focus to getting first Indy 500 win“I’m 100 percent convinced that I’m right,” Kanaan said. “They even agreed that those cars were behind me (at the time of the crash). There’s nothing that can be done now. It’s only a lesson learned for the next time.”Castroneves, who was making the 300th start of his career, said he was trying to avoid contact as the field entered the 90-degree right-hander.“I was trying not to hit anybody,” Castroneves told WRTV. “Unfortunately, I clipped a little bit of Dixon. We were all trying to make the turn. I feel terrible because it destroyed our race.”After the race, Dixon criticized Castroneves on Twitter, and posted several video replays of the crash on Facebook, saying, “Hopefully this takes care of all the bad luck during the month of May at Indy.”If any penalties are handed down, they’re likely to be in the form of fines or docked points — a notion at which Kanaan scoffed.“If you win the Indy 500 but you get a $100,000 fine for something you did, you’re going to pay it,” Kanaan said. “That’s it. Nothing has changed.”But the two who made the most of a difficult situation were Rahal and Montoya. During their press conference after the race, they started riffing about Newgarden, who won April 26 at Barber Motorsports Park.Rahal: “The rules are if you’re a lap down …”Montoya: “Glad somebody is more pissed off than me.”Rahal: “… you get out of the way.”Montoya: “Even if there were no rules, if you’re a lap down, you shouldn’t be getting in the way of the leaders.”Rahal: “For 20 laps.”Montoya: “The guy won last week. He should know better. If they did it to him last week and he lost the race because of that, he would’ve been crying and moaning.”
It took them a little while to get going, but once they did there was no stopping the Parkway Panthers Friday night against the Arkansas High Razorbacks at Preston Crownover Stadium.After allowing an early touchdown, the Panthers scored 41 straight points en route to a 41-14 non-district victory.Parkway improved to 2-1, and Arkansas High dropped to 2-1.Parkway’s offense came up empty on its first three offensive possessions of the game. On the third, Demetrius McAtee’s 23-yard field goal was blocked. McAtee got the Panthers in position for the score with a 12-yard run and a 27-yard catch-and-run.Parkway coach David Feaster was at a bit of a loss to explain the slow start.“I’ve got to get to know my players better and try to understand why,” he said. “We weren’t playing that fast. … We had a great crowd. It was great to be at home. I was excited about it. I thought they would be all fired up and playing extremely fast. I thought we played very slow and once we started I thought we played great.”The Panthers finally got rolling after Hunter Huckaby scooped up a fumble and returned it to the Razorbacks 6. One play later, Stacy McCray scored on a 3-yard run and McAtee tied it with the first of his five PATs.Russell Hedges/Press-TribuneLineman Dillon Long leads the way for Parkway running back William McKnight, who scored twice in the Panthers’ 41-14 victory over Arkansas High Friday night at Preston Crownover Stadium.The Panthers blew the game open in the second quarter with four TDs. William McKnight scored on runs of 1 and 11 yards. Keondre Wudtee passed for touchdowns of 46 yards to McCray and 19 to McAtee.On the pass to McCray, it looked like Wudtee was going to run. But he threw a short pass to McCray who raced down the visitors’ sideline chased by a defender and dove into the end zone.“We just have too many playmakers,” Feaster said. “Our offensive line did a good job tonight to give (Wudtee) time to throw, and even with they brought a blitzer Wudtee was able to dodge him. And if you give Wudtee time to throw with all the weapons we have that’s going to be really tough to stop.”The second half went quickly went a mostly running clock. Wudtee didn’t play in the second half. McKnight came in and threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Artavious Lynn.Arkansas High scored a late touchdown against Parkway reserves.Wudtee threw five straight incompletions to start the game, including an interception on the first play. He finished 7 of 18 for 163 yards.Lynn had three catches for 65 yards, including a 38-yarder that put Parkway in scoring position. McAtee caught two for 46. Jared Lancaster had just two catches for 14 yards, but one on a fourth-and-11 kept a touchdown drive alive.McAtee led the Panthers on the ground with 47 yards on four carries, including a 29-yard run. McCray had two carries for 33 yards, including a 30-yard run.Arkansas High’s defense didn’t threaten against Parkway’s first-team defense after the opening drive. Juwon Johnson and Peyton Bush had one interception each.“That’s two straight weeks that our defense played great,” Feaster said. “I didn’t think we tackled great that first drive, but after that, it was all over — very physical, very fast to the ball and all that. And that’s what we have to have.”Samaj Tarver led the Panthers with six tackles. Kyle Still and Dante Williams had five each. Huckaby, Johnson, Mikel Smith and Micah Wager were in on four apiece.Johnson also punted three times for an impressive 44.7-yard average. Harrison Hopkins also kicked several deep, booming kickoffs.“I’m so happy with our special teams, the way we’re kicking off now to the 3-yard line,” Feaster said. “McAtee’s solid on the extra points. The snaps improved as the game went along. Our punt team was great. It was great to have all those special teams right because we’re going to need those down the road.— Russell Hedges, [email protected] by CNBC CatalystBlockchain Is Changing the Game for Trade Financing. Here’s How It’s Driving Future Global Trade.StanChart by CNBC Catalyst|SponsoredSponsoredUndoTop Expat InsuranceExpat Living in Hong Kong without Health Insurance?Top Expat Insurance|SponsoredSponsoredUndoPerfect-Dating.comAre You Ready to Meet Cool Guys in Tung Chung?Perfect-Dating.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndoInstant Voice TranslatorInstant Voice Translator (43 Languages) Takes Hong Kong By StormInstant Voice Translator|SponsoredSponsoredUndoDating.comThe Most Handsome Guys In Hong Kong On This Dating SiteDating.com|SponsoredSponsoredUndoStrategyCombatIf you own a Computer, then you have to play this Game. No Install.StrategyCombat|SponsoredSponsoredUndo
The 32-year-old Brazil winger has been linked with a move to Arsenal after he failed to agree a new contract with the Blues.Willian rejected Tottenham Hotspur to join Chelsea from Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala for £30 million ($39 million) in 2013.He scored 63 goals in 339 appearances and won five trophies, two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and the Europa League.However, an ankle injury prevented him playing in the FA Cup final loss to Arsenal and Saturday’s Champions League last 16 second leg thumping by Bayern Munich.“The time has now come to move on. I am certainly going to miss my team-mates,” he said.“I will miss all the staff at the club who’ve always treated me like a son and I will miss the fans.“I leave with my head held high, safe in the knowledge that I won things here and always did my best in a Chelsea shirt.”Willian — a member of the Brazil squads at the 2014 and 2018 World Cup finals — said he had never regretted his preferring Chelsea to London rivals Spurs.“They were seven wonderful years. In August 2013 when I received the offer from Chelsea, I was convinced that this was where I had to play,” he said.“Today I am certain that it was the best of decisions. There were so many happy times, some sad, there were trophies and it was always very intense.“There was also criticism, which is normal, what is important though is that both the affection and criticism drove me to always give my all in every training session, every game, to be constantly improving until my very last minute in a Chelsea shirt.”Willian leaves along with fellow veteran Spain winger Pedro, who is joining AS Roma on a free transfer.The 33-year-old European championships and World Cup winner also issued a heartfelt farewell message as he brought the curtain down on his half a decade spell at the club.“After five wonderful years my stage at Chelsea FC comes to an end,” he wrote on Instagram.“It’s been a pleasure and an honour to play for this club and win the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League titles, as well as competing in one of the world’s best football leagues.“I made the right choice, I take with me wonderful and unforgettable memories.”