SIAD receives order for compressors

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

Three men convicted over death threats against Ghanaian judges out on…

first_imgGhana President John Mahama has decreed the early release of three men convicted over death threats against Supreme Court judges made during a panel discussion broadcast on a local radio station.The case was part of a bid by authorities to ensure stability ahead of a presidential election in December and protect Ghana’s image as a beacon of peace in West Africa.Amid a dispute in June over voter roll revisions the Mahama supporters said on Accra-based Montie FM that they would hunt down and “finish” judges if they ruled in favour of the opposition.They were convicted by the Supreme Court of contempt following a high-profile hearing and sentenced to four months in prison.Mahama on Friday ordered them freed after they expressed remorse in a direct appeal, said a government statement distributed on Tuesday. The men had also apologised in court.“The president reminds all concerned especially persons working in the media … to guard against the use of intemperate language which has the potential of causing unnecessary tension especially in this election year,” the statement said.Politicians of all parties say it is vital to ensure peace during what is likely to be a closely-fought election between Mahama and opposition leader Nana Akufo-Addo. Religious leaders and traditional chiefs have reinforced the same message.Senior opposition figures criticised Mahama’s decision, arguing he freed the men early because they are ruling party activists.– Reuterslast_img read more

2 more witnesses testify

first_imgLinden fatal stabbingThe Preliminary Inquiry (PI) into the death of Leolyn Sullivan, a resident of Phase 1B Wisroc, Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Beribce), on January 18, 2016, continued before Magistrate Clive Nurse at the Linden Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday. Sullivan was allegedly stabbed to death by her reputed husband Clarence Carter.Dead: Leolyn SullivanThe defendant is representing himself in the case. Two witnesses, who were also the couple’s neighbours, were called by the prosecution and the first witness, Melinda Isaacs Moore, testified that on the day in question, she was awakened by the sounds of crying and loud banging on her door and upon checking, she realised it was the daughter of the deceased who began to relate what was happening with her parents.After venturing outside, Moore said she observed the deceased lying at the back of her yard covered in blood and she tried to keep her awake by calling out her name. She was subsequently rushed to hospital. The witness was crossed-examined by the accused.The second witness who was called on Wednesday, another neighbour of the deceased, Husbert Johnson, testified that on the day in question he was awoken by his wife and as he got out of bed and onto his front patio, he heard someone screaming for help.He said he then observed the deceased’s daughter, Saskia Lewis, in his neighbour’s yard. Johnson told the court that he jumped off his patio and rushed to the child’s aid. He related to the court his role in assisting the now dead woman to hospital.The case will continue on January 11.last_img read more

Murder sentence is reduced by 17 years

first_imgOn a January night in 2001, Jay Rich slit the throat of his co-worker at a Battle Ground Safeway and, later, dumped the body in a remote area of Larch Mountain.Rich pleaded guilty later that year to first-degree murder. A Clark County judge, citing four aggravating factors, sentenced him to an exceptional punishment of 45 years in prison.With that sentence, victim Bryce Powers’ family said they believed justice had been served.On Friday, Rich was resentenced to a reduced 28 years because of a legal technicality in the way exceptional sentences are imposed.The family called it an injustice.“My grandson will never be able to appeal his death sentence,” Clyde Powers said Friday, calling Rich a “predator.”The Court of Appeals threw out Rich’s 45-year sentence because of a change in the interpretation of the law, assigning juries, not judges, the power to give sentences outside the standard sentencing range.During Friday’s hour-and-a-half resentencing hearing before Clark County Superior Court Judge Barbara Johnson, Powers’ relatives spent much of the time speaking about the brutality of the murder and their frustration after the Court of Appeals’ decision.In handing down the new sentence, the judge was sympathetic to the victim’s family. She said it was “regrettable” that the action causes pain for Powers’ family.last_img read more