CORRECTION An article in last week’s Independent incorrectly identified the Middletown North bowling team. The Lions were mistakenly referred to as the Eagles, which is the mascot of their crosstown rival, Middletown South.
The deadline for registering mares to New Jersey’s new Standardbred Development Fund Series is Jan. 15.Beginning with the foal crop of 2014, the Standardbred Development Fund (SDF) Series will replace the Green Acres Division of the New Jersey Sire Stakes. The first of the new stakes races will be contested in 2016.“The SDF will be open to the traditional New Jersey-sired horses, plus horses whose dam resided in New Jersey for a minimum of 150 consecutive days prior to and including foaling,” said Chris Castens, executive director of the New Jersey Sire Stakes, which administers the program, in a press release. “These events will be open to the eligible foals without regard to the location of the sire. So a horse by a New York or Pennsylvaniabased sire would be eligible to the SDF if the broodmare resides in New Jersey for the required number of days and foals in-state.“If the offspring is by a New Jersey-based stallion, no registration is necessary,” Castens added. “However, for matings involving out-of-state stallions and New Jersey-resident mares, a mare nomination form must be submitted along with a fee of $100. And it must be postmarked by January 15, 2014.”Subsequent payments to continue eligibility include yearling nominations and sustaining payments during a horse’s 2- and 3-year-old seasons.“The dates of the races will not be established until the fall of 2015,” Castens said. “We expect that races will be held at the Meadowlands and/or Freehold Raceway. Purses will be established by the New Jersey Sire Stakes Board of Trustees at a later date, but should at least approximate what is offered in the Green Acres. If there are a large number of participants, I expect the purses will be greater than those of the current Green Acres.”The full rules and registration form are available at www.newjerseysirestakes.com.For further information, contact Chris Castens at [email protected] or by calling 609-292-8830.
STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER ERIC SUCAR Christian Brothers Academy’s (CBA) Blaise Ferro, who is seen here placing second at the Meet of Champions on Nov. 21 at Holmdel Park, won the Nike Cross Nationals Northeast Regional Nov. 28 at Bowdoin Park in Wappingers Falls, New York. The senior clocked 15:45.90 for the 5K course. The meet was a qualifier for the Dec. 5 Nike Cross Nationals in Portland, Oregon. CBA finished second at the regional, grabbing one of the two automatic qualifying places. CBA last won the national title in 2011.
By Nemanja BjedovAPOEL coach Paolo Sergio was disappointed with his side’s 1-1 draw against NK Maribor in their Champions League third qualifying round first leg encounter, but he promised that the Cyprus champions will travel to Slovenia with the sole aim of qualifying for the playoff round.“I am very proud of my players. I expect that we will play better in the matches to come and nobody should forget that this was our first official match of the season, compared to our opponents who played their seventh game,” he said.“Obviously, we are not happy with this result, but we are still in the game and we will go to Slovenia in a confident mood,” Sergio added.“I believe that foul on Mario Budimir at the end was a clear penalty, but the decision did not go our way. We watched Maribor against Birkirkara and their style against us was very different, as they chose to try and hit us on the counter-attack.“We will go to Slovenia and play our game. We did have some problems with them in the beginning of the second half, but this is why we will be better in the second leg and with all due respect to them, we will be the ones to qualify for the next round,” he added.APOEL midfielder Nuno Morais, who assisted Esmael Goncalves’ goal, shared his coach’s confidence.“This is life – now we have to go over there and get a result. However, our target is always to win every game, so this is no different. We will just go there and try to win the game to get through,” he told the UEFA website.“It was a bad result for us. I think we deserved much more as we played a very good game.“We controlled the game, while they created one chance and scored one goal.“So the result for us is not good, but we are happy with our performance, and we will go there to try and give our best again to get the result that we want,” Morais concluded.Maribor goalscorer, Brazilian forward Marcos Tavares, who signed for the Slovenian champions in 2008 after previously making four appearances for APOEL, was delighted with the final result: “I am very happy because the team did very well and 1-1 is a very good result away from home.“I am pleased to have scored and to help our team to get a positive start here in Cyprus.“The second leg will be a very hard game, but we will be focused. We will do all we can to win the game and progress. I am very happy and very blessed; God helped me with this goal, and I hope in the next game God will bless me again.”The return leg will be played on Tuesday in Maribor with the kick-off set for 9.45pm Cyprus time.
THE Cypriot delegation is in Glasgow to participate in the 2014 Commonwealth Games, which will be held from 23 July to 3 August 2014.The Cypriot team consists of 51 athletes, 30 men and 21 women. They will compete in judo, swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.The Commonwealth Games will be the largest multi-sport event ever held in Scotland with 4,500 athletes from 71 countries.
By Tim HanlonBarcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has called presidential elections for the end of the season as a result of dissatisfaction with his running of the La Liga club, he told a news conference on Wednesday.The Catalan club were due to hold elections in 2016 but Bartomeu has decided to bring them forward a year following the dismissal of sports director Andoni Zubizarreta last Monday.“I have taken the decision so as to ease the tension which I believe to be disproportionate and doesn’t reflect the reality of the club,” Bartomeu told a news conference at the Nou Camp.“It is a club which is functioning well, we are going to construct a new stadium and on the sporting front we are still in all the competitions.“I ask that there is ‘fair play’ among all the candidates (for the election) and we all concentrate on what is best for the club.“It is best that mandates are completed but there has been too much tension over the last few weeks. We will continue our programme now and there will be no changes there. I have talked with the other board members but it is me that takes the decisions.“We will seek re-election. We started in 2010 and we want to keep going.”Zubizarreta’s sacking came in the aftermath of a FIFA ban on signings for two windows for a breach of rules on the transfer of foreign Under-18 players.Bartomeu said that it was necessary to make a change but that the dismissal was not directly related to the transfer ban.The president added that Zubizarreta’s replacement would be someone who knows the club well.“Zubizarreta has been in charge of the remodelling of the club but there has been a loss of confidence and so we decided that we needed to take action,” said Bartomeu.“This is nothing out of the ordinary, when there is a lack of confidence then you have to make changes.“Focusing on who will replace him then it will be someone from the club or someone who has been at the club. We want somebody that has Barca DNA.“I want to clarify that Zubizarreta was not part of transfers that led to the FIFA sanction, he did not authorise those signings.“Zubizarreta and (coach) Luis Enrique have worked well together and we aim to name his replacement in the coming days.”
Defending champion Vincenzo Nibali enjoyed some rare success in this year’s Tour de France by claiming a vintage win on the 19th stage as Chris Froome came under fire but retained the overall lead on Friday.Nibali, who had dropped out of contention in the race after a tough first week and a bad first day in the Pyrenees, broke away from a group of top riders 61 kilometres from the finish.On his way to victory, the Italian caught and dropped Frenchman Pierre Rolland in the final climb, an 18-km ascent to the ski resort of La Toussuire at an average gradient of 6.1 per cent.The Astana rider crossed the line 44 seconds ahead of Colombian Nairo Quintana, who attacked Froome in the finale, finishing second 30 seconds ahead of the Briton.Froome leads Quintana by 2:38 and Spain’s Alejandro Valverde, who finished with the other big guns 2:26 off the pace, by 5:25.
By Tim HanlonBarcelona striker Neymar had talks with Premier League side Manchester United but no offer was made, the player confirmed on Friday.The Brazilian hitman, part of Barca’s devastating attacking trio that hit 122 goals last season as the club won the treble, was linked to a move to United who needed a striker and went on to sign Anthony Martial.“There were talks but nothing came of them,” Neymar told ESPN Brazil. “There were rumours but I never received an offer.”The 23-year-old added his aim is to stay at the Catalan club.“I hope we have a dream season. I want to have consistency with my work along with my colleagues and continue to win titles,” he told ESPN Brazil.“I want to keep giving my all and evolve season to season,” he added. “I hope I will be on the Ballon d’Or podium this year.”Barca aim to bounce back from their 4-1 La Liga defeat by Celta Vigo on Wednesday when they entertain Las Palmas on Saturday.They are in fifth place in the table, level with Atletico Madrid, on 12 points from five games, a point behind Real Madrid, Celta and Villarreal who are in a three-way tie for the top spot.
The Hunters are coming off a 4 game winning streak after recording a 28-20 victory over the Mackay Cutters in Round 4 last weekend.Currently situated in 3rd place on the ladder with an impressive 4 win and 1 loss record, the PNG Hunters are a strong physical side who will no doubt prove a handful for the Blackhawks on their home soil.It will be a game to watch as former Hunter Willie Minoga “the Mack Truck” will for the first time set foot on his home soil at the National Football Stadium with his new side the Blackhawks to go up against his former team mates.The Blackhawks have plenty of NRL experience across the park for this weekend, capably lead by Captain Glenn Hall who has 220 NRL games under his belt including Hooker Anthony Mitchell, who has also played 39 games in the NRL for three teams – the Parramatta Eels, Sydney Roosters and the North Queensland Cowboys plus Other NRL representatives in the Blackhawks lineup include Jahrome Hughes (Gold Coast Titans) and Jonathon Reuben (Sydney Roosters).Though the Blackhawks have NRL experienced players, the Hunters are preparing a team with a strong defensive play for this weekend’s meet despite a few minor changes to be made to the team due to the absence of forward Henry Wan.The Hunters once again have the power to change the match around with the advantage of the home crowd supporters.Hunters weekend team include; PNG Hunters 1. Stargroth Amean 2. Justin Olam 3. Noel Zeming (c) 4. Adex Wera 5. William Aquila 6. Watson Boas 7. Wartovo Puara 8. Henry Noki 9. Warren Glare 10. Esau Siune 11. Ishamel Baikawa 12. Tuvi Lepan 13. Brandy Peter 14. Adam Korave (c) 15. Enock Maki 16. Philimon Kimisive 17. Edward Goma 18. Timothy Lomai 19. Benjamin Hetra and Coach: Michael Marum
This is after the recently held Annual General Meeting.Ani, from from Hula Village in the Central Province has a wealth of experience in sports administration where he held various executive sporting roles in softball, volleyball and canoe sailing. “I’ve committed my time fully to POM Cricket now. “From the last three years, we had some good plans to grow cricket in the nation’s capital and it is important that we continue those plans so that the code can continue to grow and develop. “We must continue to encourage kids/ junior competitions in our clubs and in our association in order to equip them with the basic skill sets and identifying their talents at an early age.” “We must have the next pool of elite players in stock to continue the current success of our current Barramundi and Lewas teams,” said Ani. Ani who is also the President of the Raukele Cricket Club was keen to point out the importance of clubs for any sporting code. “Clubs are vital for any sporting code to grow and develop. They are the lifeblood of the code. “Clubs are the foundation of sports. If we get it right at this level, the rest takes care of itself at the top.The majority of players in the Barramundi’s and the Lewas all come from the POM Cricket Association. It’s a testament to all the board members, clubs, sponsors and the players who’ve worked very hard over the years,” said Ani.Ani will head the new look POMCA team with several new faces voted in.The new faces are all former Barras players including former pace bowler, Api Leka Jnr as Secretary along with former Barras captain, Chris Amini and former Barras all-rounder, Chris Alu.Charles Amini Snr was re-elected as the vice president along with Treasurer, Konio Elly and committee members Clive Elly and Seura Loa who were also re-elected.The new look team will see them hold office for the next 3 years with the next AGM set for 2018.