The farm will not be selling raw milk until satisfactory results from the three consecutive rounds of sampling are receivedFSA spokesman Businessman Mr Park said he had been “shocked” to discover his milk had been contaminated.In June, at the Cumbria Tourism Awards hosted by comedian Justin Moorhouse at Cartmel Racecourse, the farm’s milk helped it win ‘Taste Cumbria Retailer of the Year’.In August the farm won a National Trust fine farm produce award for its unpasteurised milk.A council spokesman said: “We have had 12 cases of campylobacter confirmed so far, with a further 53 probable cases still being investigated.”None of those confirmed cases required hospital treatment.”The FSA said it had issued an order banning the farm from selling raw milk until investigations and “corrective measures” were taken. But now South Lakeland District Council (SLDC) has confirmed that last month alone 12 customers fell ill with campylobacter bacteria, with another 53 suspected cases recorded also in December – taking the total to 65 people laid low by the contaminated batch of raw milk.Sales from the farm’s raw milk vending machine have been banned pending tests and farm owner Richard Park said he was co-operating with an investigation led by the Food Standards Agency (FSA).A spokesman for SLDC said the farm would not be allowed to sell any more raw milk until tests showed no further traces of the bacteria.Those affected range in age from a one-year-old to 86. None of the victims needed hospital treatment.Initially six cases were being investigated, but results from an online questionnaire pushed the figure up to 65 – 12 of which have now been confirmed by the authority. Milk vending machines at the farmCredit: CASCADE NEWS Farmer Richard Park of Low Sizergh Farm with his organic cowsCredit:CASCADE NEWS A food poisoning outbreak blamed on the foodie trend for drinking ‘raw’ unpasteurised milk may have affected 65 people, it emerged today.Low Sizergh Barn Farm, in Kendal, Cumbria, has previously won tourism and National Trust awards for copying a US dairy trend and selling ‘ready-to-drink’, untreated milk.With their slogan ‘From Moo To You’, their fresh-from-the-udder milk is sold from special dispensers at their trendy Lake District farm shop. A spokesman added: “The farm will not be selling raw milk until satisfactory results from the three consecutive rounds of sampling are received.”Public Health England (PHE) also asked anyone who had bought raw milk from the farm or visited its tearoom in the past two months to complete an online questionnaire.The farm, which began offering unpasteurised milk from its vending machine in March last year, sold about 70 litres a day.Campylobacter is the most common cause of food poisoning and in adults can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and vomiting.The bacteria are usually found on raw or undercooked meat – particularly poultry – unpasteurised milk, and untreated water.The incubation period – the time between eating contaminated food and the start of symptoms – for campylobacter poisoning is usually between two and five days, but can be up to 10 days.The symptoms usually last less than a week.On Wednesday the FSA warned of the dangers of the raw milk trend – stressing that the elderly and children should never “consume raw drinking milk because it has not been heat treated.”But the food poisoning outbreak comes after experts repeatedly warned against the rising trend in drinking unpasteurised, and potentially bacteria-laden milk.It follows a US study which claimed raw milk makes people 100 times more likely to get ill than the pasteurised version.Raw milk advocates believe it contains more natural antibodies, proteins, and bacteria than pasteurised milk, is healthier, cleaner, and tastes better.They argue pasteurisation removes important nutrients, such as folic acid.But the US recent study showed it can put people at risk of microbial contaminants including infectious Salmonella, Campylobacter, and Listeria species along with the most dangerous form of E. coli.These bacteria can sometimes cause, in more serious cases, kidney failure or death.Cissy Li, of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said after their 2015 study: “The risks of consuming raw milk instead of pasteurised milk are well-established in the scientific literature and in some cases can have severe or even fatal consequences.”Based on our findings, we discourage the consumption of raw milk, especially among vulnerable populations such as the elderly, people with impaired immune systems, pregnant women, and children.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.