Photo courtesy of the University of Notre Dame Just weeks after unveiling substantial changes regarding student housing on its main campus, the University announced Wednesday that students studying abroad in Rome Global Gateway programs will have a new place to live beginning in the fall of 2017.According to Wednesday’s press release, Notre Dame recently purchased a villa on the Caelian Hill in central Rome — a block away from Notre Dame’s home base in the city — which will house 100 students as well as hall staff and a rector.In addition to housing University students participating in Study Abroad programs through a variety of institutions, the new residence building will house third-year architecture undergraduate students, who spend their entire junior year in Rome as part of their curriculum.J. Nicholas Entrikin, vice president and associate provost for internationalization, said the purchase would expand current study abroad programming and research in Rome.“The purchase of the villa expands the horizon of possibilities both for the Gateway and for the longstanding Notre Dame architecture program in Rome,” Etrikin said. “The University’s strategic and wise investment in the villa will greatly increase student and faculty opportunities for study and research in the heart of the Eternal City.”Theodore J. Cachey Jr., academic director of the Rome Global Gateway, described the history of the building, which was purchased for an undisclosed amount.“It was built in 1913 by the Duchess of Pontalto, and the family of the Count of Loschiavo lived there during the early 1900s,” he said. “When Italy’s racial laws led to the eviction of Jewish children from the Italian schools in 1938, the Jewish Community of Rome used it as a school. The Italian Military Police took up residence there from 1940 until recent times.”Tags: Rome Global Gateway
BEAUMONT — Keith Urban — world famous country star currently celebrating his 22nd No. 1 song – will be taking the stage at the 37th Annual Christus Gala on Saturday, April 22.Keith Urban is a four-time Grammy Award Winner, 10-time Country Music Association Award Winner, and 11-time Academy of Country Music Awards Winner. His current number one song “Blue Ain’t Your Color” received two Grammy nominations, in addition to Album of the Year for RIPCORD, his fifth consecutive platinum or multi-platinum album.Each year, the Christus Southeast Texas Foundation continues to raise the bar by offering world class entertainment, five-star cuisine, and elegant ambiance. Past Christus Gala entertainers include James Taylor, Aretha Franklin, Don Henley, and Reba McEntire, just to name a few. In 2001, the Country Music Association honored Urban with its Horizon Award. He was the first Horizon Award winner in history to go on to win the CMA’s Male Vocalist of the Year, a title he’s captured three times, and the coveted Entertainer of the Year. Since then, Urban’s career has seen a long list of groundbreaking firsts and accomplishments reserved for the music industry’s elite.“We are thrilled to welcome Keith Urban to Beaumont. His incredible success as a country musician, as well as his foray into the pop music scene, makes him relatable to a wide range of audiences. Each year, we strive to offer the Southeast Texas community a night of unforgettable entertainment, and we believe that Keith Urban will help us do just that, ” Ivy Pate, foundation president, said. The much anticipated and always exceptional Gala brings the community together to celebrate the Christus mission of extending the healing ministry of Jesus Christ. The black tie benefit provides an opportunity for an intimate evening of entertainment starting with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres at 7 p.m. followed by a gourmet meal at 8 p.m., all leading to Keith Urban’s performance at 9:30. Tables for eight starts at $3,000 and individual seating starts at $375. Seating is limited and expected to sell out quickly. To learn more or to receive an invitation, call (409) 236-7555. For more information about the foundation or to reserve your table for the event please visit www.christussoutheasttexasfoundation.org.A groundbreaking album for Urban, RIPCORD marked the second time that one of his albums debuted simultaneously atop the all-genre charts in the U.S., Canada and Australia. He is the only male Country artist to achieve this mark, not just once, but twice. The album thus far, has produced four #1 songs including “Wasted Time,” which moved Urban to #8 on Billboard’s All-time Country Airplay Chart, “John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16” and “Break On Me.” It leaves Urban’s streak as the artist with the most consecutive top 10 songs on Billboard’s Country Airplay Chart (37) well in tact – a streak that started in August of 2000.Urban’s reputation as a premier songwriter, vocalist, musician and virtuoso guitarist has afforded him the opportunity to collaborate with the likes of The Rolling Stones, John Mayer, Steven Tyler, Miranda Lambert, John Mellencamp, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift, Vince Gill and Eric Church.
After back-to-back state championship appearances in 2013 and 2014, the Lancers are looking to get back to the big game, but Blue Valley stands in its way.Sports Editor Mike LavieriLast Week: 2-0Season: 11-3No. 2 Shawnee Mission East (10-1) at No. 1 Blue Valley (11-0)This is the game I was looking forward to before the calendar rolled to September. This is the game that I knew was going to happen after three weeks when Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission East showed they were a cut above the rest of the Class 6A teams in the east. In order to be the best, you have to beat the best and that’s exactly what Friday night will be. Blue Valley is very balanced on offense and suffocates teams on defense. Shawnee Mission East runs and runs and runs and just when you think you’re going to stop them, they’ve sucked you in and throw it over the top, while the Lancer defense rings some bells.This has been the most difficult game to predict this season because I’ve gone back and forth trying to play out what might happen. Neither have seen teams like each other, but Blue Valley has seen better opponents than SM East this year.Blue Valley 21, Shawnee Mission East 20Basehor-Linwood (11-0) at Bishop Miege (10-1)Basehor-Linwood tore through the its competition this year averaging 46.5 points per game. The defense also gave up two touchdowns or less in 10 of its 11 games. If we look at common opponents — De Soto, Piper and Spring Hill — we’ll see that, yes, both won all three games, but both won convincingly. The Bobcats scored a combined 119 points in those three games while giving up 58. Bishop Miege on the other hand scored 171 points and gave up 19. Not to take anything away from the Bobcats, but they don’t play the competition the Stags do week in and week out and they haven’t seen an offense like Miege’s that can throw the ball like Carter Putz can with weapons like Jafar Armstrong and Landry Weber.Bishop Miege 49, Basehor-Linwood 17
Social distancing requirements have made it difficult for a variety of businesses and programs to operate — including meal packaging efforts for food insecure individuals.As COVID-19 stay-at-home orders progressed volunteer groups began cancelling meal packaging events with The Outreach Program, a national nonprofit that addresses hunger. This created a supply issue for food banks that still needed access to shelf-stable goods.Then, the Kansas National Guard stepped in.Rick McNary, vice president of strategic partnerships at The Outreach Program, received a call from the Kansas Division of Emergency Management, which was willing to fund production costs. KDEM informed McNary that the National Guard could be used as volunteers, since they were deployed and didn’t have to comply with social distancing guidelines as soldiers.Now, the guardsmen have packaged three million meals — currently working on the fourth million — for food insecure Kansans.“It’s given us the opportunity to help hungry people that simply did not exist until the Guard came in, not on this scale,” McNary said.Guardsmen first measure out ingredients and use a funnel to pack them into a bag. Once completed, the bag is weighed, sealed and then put into a large box before it is packaged into a seven-meal pantry pack.Since late April, about 40 to 50 soldiers have shown up to a former Leawood Hy-Vee to work in one of seven meal packaging lines. Soldiers pack, weigh, seal and box food bags that include menu items like mac and cheese, Spanish rice and minestrone soup.The food is then put into seven-meal “pantry packs” to be distributed at food pantries throughout Kansas. There has been a focus on providing assistance to western Kansas, following COVID-19 outbreaks at meat packaging plants, McNary said.Additionally, soldiers have shown the nonprofit a different operational approach, First Lieutenant William Burwell said.“This is a great opportunity for us to use the training we received in support and logistics, and helping the community is obviously something we signed on to do in the state of Kansas,” Burwell said.The Outreach Program and the National Guard have been working out of the former Leawood Hy-Vee. The building, 12200 State Line Road, will soon be renovated by Barstow School into an educational center serving metro area students and families.Jennifer Dreiling, Barstow School vice president for external advancement said the Barstow School is honored to work alongside partners “to help the most vulnerable during this pandemic by creating millions of meals to proactively address hunger.”“Making our Leawood facility available is one small way we can do our part and create a sense of security and normalcy for our families in need,” Dreiling said.Each of the seven meal varieties are shelf-stable, protein-rich, nutrient-based and easy to make.Volunteer groups willing to package meals using The Outreach Program’s social distancing method are wanted. These can include civic-based or faith-based groups, as well as companies.To volunteer, contact Rick McNary via phone at (316) 734-6845 or via email at email@example.com. Production costs at this time are covered, but those interested in sponsoring a $14 pantry pack can also reach out.
Abrams petitions for Bar reinstatement Abrams petitions for Bar reinstatement Pursuant to Rule 3-7.10, Daniel Everett Abrams of Palm Beach Gardens has petitioned the Florida Supreme Court for Bar reinstatement.Pursuant to a January 12, 2006, order, the Supreme Court suspended Abrams for a period of one year, and in an order dated June 29, 2006, concurrently suspended Abrams for one year, nunc pro tunc, January 25, 2006. The suspension was for failing to provide competent representation in two separate immigration matters and other violations.Any persons having knowledge bearing upon Abrams’ fitness or qualifications to resume the practice of law should contact Edward J. Deutsch, legal assistant for The Florida Bar, at (954) 772-2245. June 15, 2007 Regular News
The Washington Post:ALL him whatever names you like. A clown. A Know Nothing. A political greenhorn who can barely complete a sentence. A nativist, a racist and — worse — a New York liberal with a comb-over. You can call him a blowhard if you want, but — to the consternation of the conservative elite and to the surprise of just about everybody else inside the Beltway — Donald Trump won’t blow off.…Still, he is an effective speaker, psychologists say. In fact, decades of research show that charisma has more to do with a person’s demeanor than what he or she is saying, says Stanford University’s Jeffrey Pfeffer.In one series of well-known experiments conducted by the psychologists Nalini Ambady and Robert Rosenthal, subjects were able to predict how students in a college classroom would evaluate their teachers at the end of the term, based on 30 seconds or less of soundless footage of the instructor. The subjects in the study couldn’t hear the words coming out of the instructor’s mouth, but what mattered for the students was gesture and affect, not substance. Read the whole story: The Washington Post More of our Members in the Media >
US has 71 million vaccine doses leftThe US has 71 million doses of H1N1 vaccine remaining, according to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). States should keep offering doses until the seasonal flu vaccine, which will contain the pandemic strain, is available this fall, HHS spokesman Bill Hall said. Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, has asked HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius how much vaccine is left and when it will expire. Hall said the remaining doses “have varying expiration dates, some as long as early 2011.”http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0318959620100503May 3 Reuters reportH1N1 hospitalized older kids, those with underlying conditionsChildren hospitalized with pandemic H1N1 in 2009 were older and more likely to have underlying conditions than children hospitalized with seasonal flu in past years, according to a study presented today at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) annual meeting. From surveillance data from 10 states, researchers found the median age of hospitalized children to be 5 years for pandemic flu and 1 year for seasonal flu, and H1N1 patients were more likely to have underlying medical conditions.http://www.abstracts2view.com/pas/view.php?nu=PAS10L1_4007&termsMay 4 PAS study abstractCzechs used only one-seventh of vaccineCzechs used only about 100,000 doses of H1N1 vaccine of the 700,000 doses ordered, according to the Czech News Agency. Only about 66,000 people in the country of more than 10 million were vaccinated. Health officials confirmed 102 deaths in the country and estimated that 100,000 people were infected.http://praguemonitor.com/2010/05/04/hn-most-swine-flu-vaccines-unused-czechsMay 3 Czech News Agency story
Press Release, July 14, 2014; Image: james-fisher James Fisher – the UK’s marine services provider, announces the formation of a new venture with Aberdeen based company KDM Marine – James Fisher Mass Flow Excavation – to jointly offer their market-leading subsea excavation capability and resources to the offshore industry in a single entity.JFMFE combines the specialist subsea excavation, de-burial and trenching capabilities of both organisations and offers the extensive HydroDigger capability of James Fisher together with the highly innovative KDM TwinProp system to the offshore oil, gas and marine renewable energy sectors worldwide.Commenting on the formation of the JFMFE, Aidan Douglas, group operations director, James Fisher and Sons plc said “We are delighted to be able to offer our customers around the globe access to both the KDM TwinProp system and the extensive experience of Mass Flow Excavation applications, systems and technology that the KDM Marine management team have successfully built up over recent years”.Former KDM Marine chief executive and managing director of JFMFE, Kenneth Mackie, added “The resources and global footprint of James Fisher provides a strong platform to reach a number of international markets with our innovative technology. Our team is made up of some of the world’s leading Mass Flow Excavation specialists, responsible for the completion of over 300 projects. JFMFE has an impressive offering with the TwinProp and HydroDigger and we look forward to developing these tools’ positions in the marketplace”.
[mappress]Source: Zacks, August 25, 2014: Image source: Diamond Offshore The latest spate of fleet status reports – with news of low dayrates and contract terminations – provide further evidence that being an offshore driller is just not fun right now, Zacks Equity Research writes in its blog.Year-to-date, shares of major companies have significantly underperformed the broader market. In particular, stocks of Transocean Ltd. and Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc. are down approximately 21% and 22%, respectively, while the broad-based S&P 500 index has gained 9% over the same period.What’s more, according to some analysts, the worst is still to come for these drillers.The most pressing concern for the group, at least in the short-term, will be oversupply in the rig market. With large, multinational energy firms looking to reign in their skyrocketing capital expenses, the offshore drilling space is likely to see intense competition, as multiple firms chase a single contract.This excess capacity, in turn, could lead to lower utilization or dayrates.Secondly, the offshore contract drilling industry is perceived to be a highly cyclical one and the current thought is that rates had already peaked for this cycle back in late 2013. As the sector looks set to enter a cyclical downturn, drillers will prefer to hold on to their higher technology specification rigs, thereby significantly denting the company’s fleet utilization and profitability.Last but not least, while most of the drillers boast of billion dollar revenue backlogs, they are struggling with idled rigs – or the ones without contracts – in a slack market. On an average, just about two-thirds of available deepwater rigs for 2015 have been able to find customers. Even for this year, a number of drilling rigs remain uncontracted.Worryingly, investors do not see an immediate rebound in the sentiment and expect more punishing times ahead. In particular, companies with Zacks Rank #4 (Sell) or Zacks Rank #5 (Strong Sell) like Parker Drilling Co. , Vantage Drilling Co. and Noble Corp. look to be in most trouble. These drillers have negative returns year to date and has been witnessing downward earnings consensus estimate revisions for the current quarter and year.
A leading trade union lawyer has dismissed expectations that a Supreme Court ruling will prompt a rush of asbestos-related litigation. The ‘trigger case’ judgment last week ruled in favour of allowing insurance claims by families of people who died after exposure to asbestos. Following the ruling, the trade union Unite suggested that ‘thousands’ of cases would be launched now the insurers’ ‘responsibility holiday’ was over. But Ian McFall, head of asbestos policy at national trade union firm Thompsons, said obstacles preventing meritorious claims for diseases such as mesothelioma were still in place. ‘Any talk of floodgates opening is ill-informed nonsense,’ said McFall. The judgment merely ‘restores the status quo’, he said. McFall said changes to the no win, no fee system and abolishing the recoverability of after-the-event insurance – which covers medical tests and tracking down insurers – meant cases were still difficult to launch. The cost of tracking down beneficiaries of decades-old policies is also blocking hundreds of cases, he said. It is almost two years since a government consultation recommended setting up a ‘fund of last resort’, funded by insurers, but there is still no sign of progress from the Department for Work and Pensions. Leon Taylor, a partner at City firm DLA Piper, said the result will be ‘a relief’ to thousands of disease victims and their families, as well as employers’ liability policy holders, whose mesothelioma-related insurance claims have been on hold pending the outcome. The Association of British Insurers welcomed the ruling and blamed the case on a ‘small group’ of insurers acting independently and at odds with the industry. ABI director Nick Starling said: ‘The ABI and our members are committed to paying compensation as quickly as possible. ‘We have always opposed the attempt to change the basis on which mesothelioma claims should be paid, as argued by those who brought this litigation.’